Friday 8 April 2016

Collaboration with the Research Process


http://krissyvenosdale.com/2012/08/18/are-you-a-connected-educator/

I want to best help the student in my school reach their potential, to support them in their learning, and help them to become lifelong learners.  Collaboration among teachers has been identified as one of the key ingredients for successful school improvement and increased teacher satisfaction (Hayes, 2014).  I believe that with our changing world, advances in technology, and new curriculum demands collaborative teaching.  Our change in curriculum is a perfect opportunity to make it the norm to work as a team to meet the needs of students.   The following is my plan on how to improve reference services (not an evaluation of my reference resources) in my library centring on the methods of answering research questions in a collaborative setting and instructing users in the selection and use of appropriate tools and techniques for finding information.  This is of great importance for teachers and students alike as we begin the journey of inquiry based learning in our schools with the new Big Ideas approach with our new curriculum.  Together with teachers in my school, I hope to make the information inquiry process easier and faster for students, thus giving them the necessary research skills in a positive and attainable way so they can become critical thinkers and lifelong learners.
https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/rethinking-curriculum
Analysis of current collaboration on answering of research questions:
Our reference resources in my library are at a decent level, both print and digital forms.  I have come to the point of really enjoying the weeding process and thus my reference section is current and is on its way to being well organized.  There are some holes from my thorough wedding that I need to fill, but will do so overtime as my budget allows for it.  My focus with this plan is on the delivery of the reference services, while of course maintaining a quality resource collection.
Some collaboration has occurred in my school.  Some comparably graded teachers work together to plan units and share ideas, but not all at a grade level unite.  For example, our two kindergarten teachers do work collaboratively, but only two of the three grade 4/5 teachers work together.  We do have curriculum meetings and we divide into primary and intermediate groupings to make plans for the direction of our teaching.  Units may be planned with small groups of teachers, but including the teacher librarian does not occur unless I nudge my way in.  Collaboration is not the norm in our school.   
According to Riedling, 2013, the school librarian should possess three things: knowledge of the collection, effective communication skills, and competence in selecting, organizing, and evaluating resources.   I feel comfortable in my knowledge of my library collection and have gained trust of staff members.  Although it is a work in progress, as I have stated previously, I am well on my way to having an organized reference section in my library.  This is a good start, but I would like to see the role of the teacher librarian outlined by the district so teachers understand what they can expect of me.  Our district has no library framework like Thomson/Okanagan school district or a handbook like Saanich school district.   I would like to see an emphasis put on the research process by my staff.  We have no research model used by any staff member, let alone our school as a united front.   Our school has a library and needs to work towards becoming a learning commons with the goal being to “build learning communities and make connections among learners, thus facilitating knowledge creation in the school community” (Leading Learning, p. 4, 2014). 

Rationale for change and improvements:
It takes teamwork effort to guide each student’s learning.  To help create information literate citizens that can analyse information critically in all its formats and in all media contexts , make decisions based on accurate and current information, use information and communication technologies, respect information sources, (p.6, Achieving Information Literacy, 2006) we need a common framework and a solid school team approach.  A common framework gives consistent vocabulary to the whole student population allowing teachers to broaden and deepen research skills, as the students move through the grades.  There needs to be an increase in the thinking and organization of the development of research activities and collaborating teachers using a common framework can address this need.  Riedling (p.10, 2013) states it is imperative that students possess the skills required to learn efficiently and effectively and can do so learning research problem solving strategies through widely accepted models.   A statement from Teacher Leader Model Standards (p.22, 2008) is that teachers need to experience and model what we want students to be able to do.  This means creating opportunities and cultures within schools for teachers that promote collaboration, sharing of practice, leading from the classroom, and collective responsibility for the success of students.
            My school does not have a role description for a teacher librarian, but I like this description found in the Greater Victoria School District Library Learning Commons handbook:  the teacher librarian works in collaboration with the principal, classroom teachers, school, and district staff to develop a library program that supports, enriches and implements the instructional program of the school.  More specifically, the TL is to work cooperatively with classroom teachers in order to assist students in developing skills in information retrieval and critical thinking so that they may become informed decision makers and lifelong learners (School District 63, Saanich Library Learning Commons Handbook, 2004).  As teachers in my school come to learn my role as a TL, they can come to understand the greatness we can achieve working together.
According to, Leading Learning: Standards of Practice for School Library Learning Commons, 2014, facilitating collaboration cultivates and empowers a community of learners.  There is a plethora of studies  that demonstrate the greater success in student learning and an increase in achievement from collaboration.

Effects on student learning:

The old norms of teachers working in isolation are replaced with new norms of collaboration and teamwork.  Promoting collaboration, support, and teamwork among teachers will create a culture where all members share a strong sense of community and collective responsibility for student success. In turn, success in improving student learning will contribute to teachers’ sense of accomplishment and professional satisfaction (p.26, Teacher Leader Model Standards, 2008). 
In my one year as a teacher librarian at my school, I have been able to collaborate with a few teachers.  Today I was in a classroom working with a grade 3 classroom teacher and our district computer resource teacher doing research on laptops with the 24 students.  What amazing learning was taking place with these students and us three educators!  It wasn’t just the technology or the up to date acquisition of information on the students’ part, but the united front of collaborating teachers helping students with research inquiry.  If we could start even younger and progress deeper with their learning over the period of a student`s time with us, we would have problem solving, critical thinking star learners!  Riedling’s Reference Skills for the School Librarian (p.3, 2013) states, “while student dependence upon the internet to find the answer to their questions has increased, the school librarians roll as provider of quality information resources and as a guide for using information resources effectively will always be important.”  I was able to help the students find reliable, up to date information in an efficient manner today with students walking away with research skills!

My step by step plan:
I will continue to hold effective communication as key to collaboration with my colleagues.   Also, I will continue to work at creating a climate of trust with all staff members as a catalyst for change.  Letting colleagues know that I am there to provide information literacy instruction for inquiry project learning experiences will encourage our collaborative relationship.  I think it is important to seek unique strengths and talents from each teacher and use as them as a resource to help other teachers collaborate.  Another key to implementing my plan is to start working with teachers who have a willingness to work with others so that we are off to a good start role modeling our effect on student learning.
 According to Kamloops/Thomson, A Framework for School Library Programs in the 21st Century (p.9, 2007), an exemplary library program develops cooperative lesson plans with classroom teachers that integrate literature and information literacy skills into subject areas.  Thus, I plan to seek out specific Big Ideas from the new curriculum that support the acquisition of research skills and share with colleagues.  We have a school based Pro-D Day in April focusing on the new curriculum that I have time to present to my staff about my role as a teacher librarian and how I can help with the new curriculum.  Collaborative relationships between classroom teachers and school librarians have a significant impact on learning, particularly in relation to the planning of instructional units (Haycock, School Libraries and Student Achievement, 2003). 
https://tl-pi.wikispaces.com/Overview+Points+of+Inquiry
http://uhigh-ilstu.libguides.com/c.php?g=445837&p=3041380

For our May Pro-D Day, I plan to introduce various research models (Big 6, Research Process, and Points of Inquiry) and hopefully come to a consensus with staff, as to choosing one for our school to follow in our inquiry based learning journey come September. This means if I introduce this model to each class in the library, I will have the teachers backing up the learning with having the same knowledge and language.  In September, as teachers create their year plans, I will touch base with each teacher and make it known I am there to rotate through each classroom throughout the year to work together on research.  I will inform them to please let me know which units they are doing which would be best to have me fit into to collaboratively teach.  By doing this I hope to make it the expectation and norm that we work together.  Then we can use Haycock’s stages (objective, content, sequence, methodology, activities, evaluation) in the Collaborative Planning process to promote reference services and produce critical thinking, creative, successful units.   I know this will all take place gradually as it is a process! 
http://www.howdesign.com/parse/process-this/

Monthly curriculum team meetings can be used for me to have a few minutes to promote another resource, demonstrate its use in research, and role model its value in a friendly and positive way.  By doing this, teachers will see value in having me into their classroom to work together sharing our knowledge.
This past month, I approached my administrator with the idea of using the prep time I fill in the form of HACE and PE for teachers, to be research skills next year.  Thus I can further implement our soon-to-be-newly acquired chosen research model to all classes.  I will touch base in early May when teacher placements are occurring to provide additional information to my administrator.
I hope to connect to each teacher one at a time: gaining trust, rapport  and demonstrating the benefits of collaboration.  As Haycock (2003) suggests, “the core of teacher-librarianship – collaboration and partnerships – rests on positive and productive relationships with colleagues and other staff.”  As I go I will identify reference resources that are quality, easy to access, and easy to use so success for teachers and thus students.


Who I need involved to implement my plan:

Administrator, teacher librarian, classroom teachers, learning resource teacher, support staff (they know the unique students best!), district curriculum coordinator, aboriginal education resource teacher, students

Other considerations:


To see success of my plan, I will require feedback from teachers, students, and my administrator. Observing growth of students in their ability to follow a research plan will demonstrate the effects of choosing a research model for our school.  Overtime I hope that teachers will see the advantages of using a variety of reference materials, in all formats in collaboration with their colleagues.  I need to have the cooperation of the staff.  I realize there may be staff members adverse to these changes.  Everyone will deal with the curriculum changes in their own way.  I will support them in a way that works best for them and with patience.  I hope to provide opportunities to introduce, practice, maintain and refine information literacy skills and abilities for staff within my budget. 

References
Asselin, M., Branch, J., & Oberg, D. (2003). Achieving information literacy. Ottawa: Canadian School Library Association.
Haycock, K. (2003). School libraries and student achievement. Teacher Librarian,31(1), 34. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.ubc.ca/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/224890944?accountid=14656
Hayes, T. (2016). Library to Learning Commons | Canadian Education Association (CEA)Cea-ace.ca. Retrieved 9 April 2016, from http://www.cea-ace.ca/education-canada/article/library-learning-commons
Leading Learning: Standards of Practice for School Library Learning Commons in Canada. (2014). Retrieved 9 April 2016, from http://, Leading Learning: Standards of practice for school library learning commons in Canada, 2014,
Riedling, A., Shake, L., & Houston, C. (2013). Reference skills for the school librarian. Santa Barbara, California: Linworth, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC.
SchoolDistrict63Saanich Library Handbook. (2016). Google Docs. Retrieved 9 April 2016, from https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DJnXjpIsFG6FGljkvyTcFUYmcfRtJzs6z6U_rm7gNuE/edit?usp=gmail
Sd. 73, K. (2016). A Framework for School Library Programs of the 21st Century. Retrieved 9 April 2016, from http://hgec.sd73.bc.ca/sites/hgec.sd73.bc.ca/files/WebPDF.pdf

Teacher Leader Model Standards. (2008). Retrieved 9 April 2016, from https://www.ets.org/s/education_topics/teaching_quality/pdf/teacher_leader_model_standards.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment